Photographic Silk Aquatint Test 11: Original Process with Double Tack Adhesive

Name: Mady Lacaprucia and McKenzie Stuetzel Date: 11/28/17

Room Temperature: 66 Degrees Fahrenheit Humidity, ect: Not humid

Experiment Title: Test 11 – Original Process with Double Tack Adhesive

Experiment Goal: We suspect that the layer of emulsion isnt fully covering the texture of the screen mesh, and therefore our plates are holding ink in areas that should wipe clean, resulting in gray, dark prints. Our goal is to use our original method of applying the mesh to the plate before coating with emulsion, except using the double-tack sheet instead of acrylic paint as our adhesive, to see if this will get rid of the mesh texture that we have been getting in our last few experiments.

Plate Preparation: We first printed out a new positive using different bitmap settings. We learned that when bitmapping for silkscreen, you should find the correct frequency by taking the mesh count and dividing by 5. Therefore, since we are using a silkscreen 200 mesh, the frequency we used was 40. We also learned that 22.5 is an ideal angle to use, as it is halfway between 0 and 45 and will create less of a moiré effect.

We went back to our original steps of preparing the image:

  1. Cutting the plate
  2. Degreasing the plate
  3. Applying the adhesive to the plate, using our new found Double Tack Adhesive Tape
  4. Applying the mesh to the adhesive
  5. Running plate through to flatten the adhesive and mesh together, in an attempt to rid the plate of bubbles.
  6. In dark room, coat the screen on plate with three layers of emulsion
  7. Expose image for 5 minutes
  8. Wash off emulsion
  9. Wait till dry, then shellac and print

Plate:

Plate coated 3 times and exposed

Printed plate image:

Printed image

Print: We printed this plate using Gamblin Bone Black mixed with burnt plate oil on Hahnemuhle Copper Warm White on the Praga press with a pusher and a catcher. Press set at medium pressure.

Conclusions & Procedure: Going back to our original procedure and substituting the glue/acrylic adhesives for the Double tack adhesive has shown to be successful. Our whites are coming back into the image and our darks are not getting over-wiped. The problem still is the amount of emulsion. There is still a slight gray tone to the overall print, which leads us to believe we need another layer or two before exposure.

For our next experiment we are thinking of continuing this process with another emulsion layer test.

<Previous Experiment                                                                                                                                                                Next Experiment>