Test 8: Image Positives with New Printer

May 30, 2019

researchers: Dan Dawson and Hannah Hurricane Sanchez

Temperature 65°F, humidity 79%

Our research led us back to looking at how we make the film positive. Aslo the Epson 3800 printer broke so we had to use the Epson 2200 Printer. We needed to find how the image positives would print using this type of printer compared to the Epson 3800.

Here is how we made the choices in Photoshop to create image positives using Epson 2200:
a jpeg file is set to grayscale
curves are applied: darks at 75 and lights at 245
choose printing preset B&W photopolymer
grey gamma 2.2
paper: glossy photo

TEST 1 – step test on two image positives

Exposing PETG plate laminated last week with an aquatint screen at 30 LU and the Image positive at 2, 3, 4,5, 6, 7, 8 LU both for a positive we created with 60 curves on blacks made with the above setting, and a second positive we created with whites at 245 curve and blacks 75 and the above settings.

The two different film positives.

We developed both plates in a 9-minute ImagOn developer bath, with a temperature of 66°F. After the 9 minutes, we rinsed the plates in cool running water, then sprayed with white vinegar rubbing lightly for 30 seconds, and rinsed again with running water. After developing we exposed the plates for a 10 LU final hardening.

When printing the plates we used carbon black from Akua Inks, with 15% transparent base. We soaked Hanmeuhle Copperplate paper for 20 minutes and blotted dry. Our results showed the image becomes washed out after 4 LU. From here we choose to do a step test from .5 lu to 2 lu, using .3 LU intervals in order to dial in the correct exposure time.

step-test print. showing that the image vanishes around 4LU.

Test 2 – step test on two image positives
Using PETG plates laminated last week, we exposed the aquatint screen to 30 LU. For both image positives (60 curves and 245/75 curve) we performed a step test exposing at .5, .8, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, 2 LU.

The plates were developed in a 9-minute ImagOn developer bath that had a temperature of 66.4°F. The plates were then rinsed in cool running water, sprayed with white vinegar lightly rubbing for 30 seconds, and then rinsed again with cool water and patted dry.

A final hardening exposure of 5LU was performed.

Printed with Akua Carbon black, and 15% Transparency on soaked Hanemeuhle Copperplate paper. We see immediately that we are getting good results in tonal value between 1.1 and 1.4 L. Next we want to try to do a full plate at 1.1LU with a .1LU flash and using only the film positive with the 75 and 245 curves applied. to bring out the ranges in tone both in the lights and in the darks.

The two step-test prints pulled with the two different film positives. The top image is the film poitive with the 75 and 245 curve applied. The bottom image is with the film positive that had the 60 curve applied.

Test 3 – test print for dialed in exposure time and image positive

Using PETG plate laminated last week, we exposed the aquatint screen to 30 LU. We then exposed the film positive with the curve at 75, and 245 to 1.1LU and then a .1LU flash.

The plate were developed in a 9-minute ImagOn developer bath that had a temperature of 66.4°F. The plate were then rinsed in cool running water, sprayed with white vinegar lightly rubbing for 30 seconds, and then rinsed again with cool water and patted dry.

A final hardening exposure of 10LU was performed.

Printed with Akua Carbon black, and 15% Transparency on soaked Hanemeuhle Copperplate paper. We see immediately that we are getting good results showing both tonal variations in the lights and also the darks. This has been our best printed image as of yet.

Our most successful image pulled as of to date.

 

<previous experiment                                                                                                           next experiment>