We applied diluted Graphic Chemical & Ink Co. W/S Block print black no. 1659C. (in a ratio of 6 parts water and 1 part ink) to a degreased copper plate to see if we can attain reticulation effects across the copper plate’s surface.
Date: February 16, 2010
Researcher’s Name: Maya M. Bajak, Madeleine Parks
Plate Material: .032 Copper
Plate Size: 5 in x 5 in
Room Temperature: 73°
Each plate was degreased with Bon Ami and water. We painted Graphic Chemical & Ink Co. W/S Block print black, (no. 1659C. in a ratio of 6 parts water and 1 part ink) over the plate, adding more water when it didn’t appear to be reticulating properly. The wash resist required more water to dilute for reticulation; which leads us to believe that the ratio of water to ink should be modified. We allowed for 1.5 hours for the wash resist to dry on plate, plate was slightly oxidized around certain ink splotches. Plate was placed in a drier box for 20 minutes.
Each plate was etched in a vertical etching tank of Ferric Chloride at 36.5° Baume.
Timed Application of Mordant
Removal of Grounds
The plates were placed in a stripper bath of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and water (100 grams/1 liter) for 10 minutes. They were rinsed in water and deoxidized in the plate brightener bath made of distilled white vinegar and salt (1 gallon/1 cup). Immediately following the brightener bath they were dried with a clean rag and blow dryer.
After Bath Evaluation
There has been some open biting where the wash ground was not applied to the plate. Reticulation is evident in some of the washed areas but not the full range of tone that we are searching to capture.
Unmodified Graphic Chemical & Ink Co. Bone Black Etching Ink. They were carded on with mat board scraps and wiped with used tarlatan.
Paper Type: Hahnemuhle Copperplate
Paper Soaking Time: 20 Minutes
Press Blanket Setup: Small Takach, 2 Blankets, 8.5 Pressure
While we did have limited success applying diluted Graphic Chemical & Ink Co. W/S Block print black no. 1659C to the plate we did not achieve the full tonal range that we hoped for. This may be because there was an incorrect proportion of ink to water ratio or simply because this particular ink is not the best solution for applying wash grounds. In the final print the viewer can see that the ink retained its density rather than bleeding and creating a full tonal spectrum.