Acrylic Manière Noire Experiment 2

Researchers: Zoe Dong and Megan Ogden


Zoe tried her hand at a full-plate image for the first time with this technique. Her goals were to experiment with the material and to see what kind of painterly mark making she could achieve with this process.

She exclusively used ZMP Acrylic stop out and GAC 100.

She printed with Graphic Chemical Bone Black ink on Hanemuehle Copperplate.

State 1: Zoe tried to create the image in a way she would regularly paint, diluting and thinning the painting medium with water when it felt natural. She heat set the image which did result in some cracking in the thicker areas of medium. It seemed like a gradation/wash effect was partially achieved in the background where she attempted to do so with water.

Layers of stop out and GAC

The resulting print:

“David” State 1

Zoe wanted to lighten the overall image, and did so by applying a stop out wash. She also selectively applied GAC 100 in some areas, and tried cutting away dried medium to see if that “fixed” some areas that were too bright.

Cutting away dried medium

Added layers of stop out and GAC

The resulting print:

“David” state 2

From this print we learned that it’s very easy to quickly brighten value with this process. The large dark spot in the lower right corner of the print was a result of impatience and applying a thin layer over a wet thick layer and then blotting dry, accidentally lifting up a lot of medium. Other very dark, unintentional marks were made by attempting to cut away cried medium to “fix” areas. Cutting away the acrylic did work, but we learned it’s important to go back over the removed areas carefully to reapply tone–otherwise the area will just go back to its neutral super-black aquatint.

< previous experiment                                                                                       next experiment >