Monday – Friday, July 6-17, 2020, 9-4 with open studio time until 6 PM weekdays and 10-5 weekend
$1500 non-members, $1200 members
(materials and handouts included)
A 12-day intensive focused on green etching fundamentals using copper as a matrix will consist of demonstrations and plenty of time for participants to make plates, proof and experiment, with faculty support. Each participant will receive a 6″x4.5″ plate for each technique in order to make their own set of demonstration prints. Participants will receive detailed technical handouts from the Zea Mays Printmaking studio etching manual. Each participant gets their own work table and plenty of space to spread out and explore.
What will you learn?
- Etching on copper in ferric chloride
- BIG etching ground including: hard ground, soft ground, marbling and alternative aquatints
- Plate preparation techniques
- Basic studio and press set-up and care
- Acrylic Airbrush Aquatints including tray, vertical tank, spit bite etching, lift ground and white ground
- Etching on copper with Soy Wax soft ground.
- Tools: use and care
- Introduction to various printmaking papers
- Professional printing methods
- Ink tutorials – Black ink lab day
This workshop counts towards the Zea Mays Printmaking “Green Printmaking Certificate: Intaglio”.