Exhibition Title: Another World is Possible
Venue: A.P.E. Gallery, Northampton MA
Submit entries for consideration: May 24 – July 22, 2022
Notification of acceptance: late August, 2022
Exhibition dates: September 8 – October 8, 2022
Opening Reception: Friday, September 9, 2022
Delivery for installation: September 6, 2022
Pick up of artwork: October 9, 2022
No Fee to submit
Current members of Zea Mays Printmaking and past Artists in Residence*
“The basic insight of Critical Theory is that another world is always possible in the unfulfilled promise of the present. What potentialities, dreams, etc. does the present order generate but suppress through its structures of control and domination? This attitude differs from a utopian vision of a disconnected future ungrounded in the present with no way to get from here to there.” – Nicholas Xenos
As artists, we can attempt to predict or imagine possible outcomes for the crises-filled world in which we now live. This exhibition calls on printmakers to
reflect on future scenarios, both near and far, and envision expansion or a sort of end game. Do we imagine dystopias or utopias? Do we believe that tomorrows may be worse than yesterdays or do we visualize the possibilities of a cleaner and clearer, more balanced world?
Juana Valdes, multi-media artist and Associate Professor (printmaking), UMass Amherst
Shichio Minato, printmaker, curator, Professor of Art, Fukui University, Fukui, Japan and organizer of first Green Printmaking Symposium in Asia (2019)
The jurors will be jurying from digital images and brief written descriptions submitted through this online form.
- All entries must include a printmaking component
- All entries must address the theme
- 2-D, 3-D, installation and artist books accepted (artists submitting installations and complex 3-D work must be available to install and de-install themselves)
- 2-D work will be hung unframed, with the magnet system.
- Size limitation: There are no size limitations, however the jurors will take size into consideration when selecting work for the exhibition.
- Shipping work to and from the gallery will be the responsibility of the artist.
Jpeg format – max 3000 pixels longest side, 72 dpi
Label with title of work, not your name