Green Printmaking Certificate: Intaglio
July 24 @ 9:00 am - August 7 @ 7:00 pm
This workshop is full. Email to be placed on the waiting list.
July 24-August 7, 9 AM-7 PM
This 15-day intensive workshop is a fantastic opportunity to learn everything you need to know to set up and maintain a safe etching practice including etching with BIG ground, soy wax ground, acrylic airbrush aquatint and more.
What will you learn in the program?
- Set up and maintenance of safe intaglio studio including how to calibrate, lubricate and maintain an etching press, etching bath testing and maintenance, how to read material data safety sheets, DIY ventilation systems, tool sharpening and more.
- Etching on copper in ferric chloride with BIG ground including: hard ground, soft ground, lift grounds, white grounds, marbling, texture transferring and alternative aquatints.
- Acrylic Airbrush Aquatints including tray, vertical tank and spit bite etching.
- Etching on copper with Soy Wax soft ground.
- Etching on aluminum and zinc in copper sulfate saline mordant.
- Non-darkroom photo etching
- Professional printing methods including multi-plate etching and registration.
- Ink tutorials – modification and use of oil and water-based inks
Who is it for?
- Shop Technicians
- Independent artist/printmakers
What will the Certificate Prepare you for?
- Setting up your own safer etching studio – personal or public
- Converting a traditional print studio to a safer one – school, community center, home studio
- Teach safer etching techniques: hard and soft ground, aquatint, lift grounds, photo etching and more.
The studio will open at 9 AM and the day will begin with technical demonstrations and group analyses of processes. After the demos, students will work on replicating each technique on a test plate.
At 3 PM the instructor will leave.
The studio will be open from 3-7 PM with a monitor present so students can continue to work independently.
Days 7 and 14 are open studio days and students can choose to take a day off, or work independently in the studio.
When you register for the workshop, you will be sent a questionnaire asking about your intaglio experience.
We have a 2-bedroom apartment at Zea Mays Printmaking which we will rent to 2 participants in the program @ $700 per person.
We also have connections with a couple of local folks who gladly rent rooms in their homes to our visiting artists.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you are interested in any of these accommodation options, as they fill quickly.
Proof of vaccination for Covid-19 required.