Green Printmaking Certificate: Intaglio
August 1 @ 9:00 am - August 15 @ 7:00 pm$500.00 – $2,250.00
August 1-15, 9 AM – 3 PM instruction, 3 – 7 PM open studio
This 15-day intensive workshop is a fantastic opportunity to learn everything you need to know to set up and maintain a safe etching practice including etching with BIG ground, soy wax ground, acrylic airbrush aquatint and more.
Includes 60 page instructional manual.
What will you learn in the program?
- Set up and maintenance of safe intaglio studio including:
- how to calibrate, lubricate and maintain an etching press
- etching bath testing and maintenance and proper disposal of spent mordants
- health and safety, proper ppe and ventilation systems
- tool sharpening and care
- etching blanket care and cleaning
- Etching on copper in ferric chloride including use of BIG (Baldwin Intaglio Ground) for soft ground, lift grounds, white grounds, texture transferring and alternative aquatints.
- Acrylic Airbrush Aquatints including tray, vertical tank and spit bite etching.
- Etching on copper with Soy Wax soft ground.
- Etching on aluminum in copper sulfate saline
- Non-darkroom photo etching
- Ink modifications and practices for different plate work (line, texture, tone)
Who is it for?
- Shop Technicians
- Independent artist/printmakers
What will the Certificate Prepare you for?
- Setting up your own safer etching studio – personal or public
- Converting a traditional print studio to a safer one – school, community center, home studio
- Teach safer etching techniques: hard and soft ground, aquatint, lift grounds, photo etching and more.
The studio will open at 9 AM and the day will begin with technical demonstrations and group analyses of processes. After the demos, students will work on replicating each technique on a test plate.
At 3 PM the instructor will leave.
The studio will be open from 3-7 PM with a monitor present so students can continue to work independently.
Day 1 will have an evening group dinner and work sharing session.
Days 7 and 14 are open studio days and students can choose to take a day off, or work independently in the studio.
When you register for the workshop, you will be sent a questionnaire asking about your intaglio experience.
We have a 2-bedroom apartment at Zea Mays Printmaking which we will rent to 2 participants in the program @ $800 per person.
We also have connections with a couple of local folks who gladly rent rooms in their homes to our visiting artists.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you are interested in any of these accommodation options, as they fill quickly.
There are also Air BnB offerings in the area.
Registration is $2500, includes materials – early registration discount $2250 if registered by May 15, 2023
This workshop is currently full. Fill out the form below to be placed on the waiting list.