We are transferring textures from corrugated cardboard, tarletan and wax paper onto a copper plate coated with Graphic Chemical water-based block printing ink #1659. We are also testing Faust and Akua water-based inks on dampened and dry Magnani Pescia paper.
Date: January 8, 2001
Researcher’s Name: Liz Chalfin and Louise Kohrman
Plate Material: .032 Copper
Plate Size: 4 in x 6 in
We degreased the plate with Bon Ami and water made into a paste. We built up several thin layers of water-based block printing ink using a small speedball roller. We rolled in opposing directions in order to get the maximum amount of coverage. We layered on several textures and covered the copper plate with plastic wrap. We rolled the plate through the press with the plastic still on the plate’s surface. There has to be enough pressure to push the textured objects into the ground and expose bare copper but not too much so that the plate’s smooth surface gets damaged. We removed the textures and allowed the plate to air dry.
The plate was etched in a vertical etching tank filled with 42° Baume Ferric Chloride.
Timed Application of Mordant
Removal of Grounds
We placed the etched plate in a bath of warm water and used a nail brush to gently scrub away the ink ground.
After Bath Evaluation
The plate looks well etched all the textures translated nicely.
Proof one was inked with Faust oil based black (without modifiers) scraped on with mat-board scraps and wiped with used tarletan and printed on damp Magnani Pescia paper. Proof two was inked with Akua water-based Intaglio ink without modifiers. The ink was scraped on with mat-board scraps and wiped with used tarletan printed on damp Magnani Pescia paper. Proof three was inked with Akua water-based Intaglio ink without modifiers scraped on with mat-baord scraps and wiped with used tarletan printed on dry Magnani Pescia paper.
Paper Type: Combination of damp and dry Magnani Pescia
Paper Soaking Time: 30 Minutes
Press Blanket Setup: Large Takach, 2 Blankets
Both the Akua water-based ink and Faust oil-based ink performed well. The damp paper provided a dark rich proof while the dry paper lends a lighter impression. Overall this is a successful experiment for discovering different textures and ink combination.