I am testing a soft ground mixture that consists of 3 parts refrigerated Graphic Chemical Water based Block Printing Ink Peacock Blue, 2 parts Golden Acrylic Silkscreen Medium, and 1/2 part Golden GAC 200. I am using newsprint as the transfer paper and a #2 pencil for drawing.
Date: February 13, 2009
Researcher’s Name: Amelia Vottero
Plate Material: .032 Copper
Plate Size: 5 in x 3 in
Room Temperature: 72° F
I degreased the plate with Bon-Ami and water made into a paste. The paste was rubbed onto the plate surface and rinsed away with water. The copper plate was blow dried and finished with a clean towel. I rolled a thin amount of ground across the plate’s surface just enough so that I could not see the copper sparkle through the ground. I placed the newsprint gently across the copper plate’s surface and drew for over an hour. I used a #2 hard pencil and held it as upright as possible to achieve a suitable transfer. After I completed my image I placed the copper plate on the hot plate until it was dry to the touch.
The plate was etched in a vertical etching tank filled with 35° Baume Ferric Chloride.
Timed Application of Mordant
45 Minutes/Rinse/15 Minutes/Rinse (A rinse consisted of lifting the copper plate out of the vertical tank, rinsing the plate with cold water, and then returning it to the etching tank.)
Removal of Grounds
The ground was removed using a stripper bath of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and water (100 grams/1 liter). I rinsed the plate under warm water after soaking it in the stripper bath for 10 minutes.
After Bath Evaluation
45 minutes of uninterrupted etching followed by a water rinse and an additional 15 minutes of etching.
The plate was inked with unmodified 50% Graphic Chemical Bone Black and 50% Graphic Chemical Stiff Black. The ink was carded on with a orange plastic scraper, wiped with used tarlatan, and hand wiped.
Paper Type: Hahnemule Copperplate
Paper Soaking Time: 15 Minutes
Press Blanket Setup: Small Takach, 2 Blankets, 8.0 pressure
The plate does not look as etched as the previous plates. I am assuming this is because we tried 45 minutes of uninterrupted etching as opposed to rinsing and replacing the plate in the Ferric Chloride bath multiple times.