We concluded with the last test that the main problem was that the aquatint screen we scanned to use as a filter over our whole image wasn’t scanned at a high enough ppi and therefore resulted in low quality images. For this test we are keeping our Photoshop adjustments consistent and simply using a higher quality scan as the filter.
Date: June 4, 2013
Researcher’s Name: Liz Bannish and Stephanie Gaumond
Plate Material: .032 Copper
Plate Size: 5.75 x 4.5″
Room Temperature: 72 degrees Fahrenheit
We degreased with soy sauce, beveled our edges, and polished the plates with 000 gauge steel wool. We rescanned our aquatint screen at 720 ppi to insert as the filter. Every thing else was kept the same.
The image was resized to 300 dpi.
We inserted our 720 ppi aquatint screen (saved as a TIFF)
Color balance: Highlights- Cyan -31, Magenta 0, Yellow -26 Shadows- Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow +22
Channel Mixer: Monochrome box checked
Inverted the image
Curves: Output White: 240 Black: 40
To get the greatest amount of toner transfer we used both the tacking and the clothes iron. Initial application with the tacking iron for precision then the large iron for the greatest coverage of heat. The goal being when peeled the film is completely transparent in the lightest areas. No blue coloring should be seen. This was acheived in some areas of the film but not others.
41 degrees Baume
Timed Application of Mordant
Removal of Grounds
We removed the ground with Soy Solv industrial cleaner. It is very effective with some rubbing.
After Bath Evaluation
No open biting or issue with the ground.
Graphic Chemical Etching Ink in Bone Black. Tarlatan wipe
Paper Type: Hahnemuhle Copperplate
Paper Soaking Time: 10 Minutes
Press Blanket Setup: Press: Charles Brand Pressure: 0 Blankets: 2 sizing catchers
Using the aquatint screen with a greater ppi resulted in a greater range of tones and a slightly clearer image. The texture and small dots that remain on the image are thought to be due to transfer inconsistencies.