Creating an Acrylic Spray Aquatint Test 3

October 14, 2014 (printed 10/21)
Researchers: Audrey Blood / Jenny Gover
Room Temperature: 68 degrees F
Humidity: average to dry
Materials: Speedball Screen Filler, Future Floor Wax, Golden Airbrush Medium, Speedball India Ink, Blick Artists Acrylic Black Paint, Van Gogh Watercolor Paint Ivory Black, Speedball Screen Printing Ink Black, Akua Intaglio Ink Carbon Black and Jet Black
Abstract: Find a way to tint Speedball screen filler mixture that does not coagulate

///////////////////////

Mix 3a:
1 oz. Speedball screen filler
4 oz. Future floor wax
3 drops Golden airbrush medium
0.5 oz Blick Artists Acrylic black paint

Procedure:
We stirred Speedball screen filler until thoroughly mixed and measured each ingredient in a cup. We then poured the screen filler into a mixing container. We measured 4 oz. Future floor wax, added it to the Speedball mixture, and stirred until mixed thoroughly. We then added 3 drops Golden airbrush medium and 0.5 oz acrylic paint. We mixed thoroughly until all ingredients were combined.

Conclusions:
The mixture was very clumpy, and the materials were difficult to combine. Even when thinning with water, we could not get all of the clumps out. We did not spray this aquatint.

///////////////////////

Mix 3b:
1 oz. Speedball screen filler
0.25 oz. Van Gogh watercolor paint ivory black

Procedure:
We stirred Speedball screen filler until thoroughly mixed and added watercolor paint. We mixed until ingredients were thoroughly combined.

Conclusions:
The watercolor was too transparent. It would take too much paint to darken the screen filler. We did not spray this aquatint.

///////////////////////

Mix 3c:
1 oz. Speedball screen filler
0.5 oz Speedball screen printing ink black

Procedure:
We stirred Speedball screen filler until thoroughly mixed and added Speedball screen printing Ink. We mixed until ingredients were thoroughly combined.

Conclusions:
The screen printing ink was opaque but needed thinning. We first thinned the Speedball screen printing Ink with water first, and then added it to the Speedball screen filler. The ink would not dissolve completely and the red screen filler color came to the top of the mixture, while the black screen printing ink accumulated at the bottom. We did not spray this aquatint.

///////////////////////

Mix 3d:
1 oz. Speedball screen filler
4 oz. Future floor wax
3 drops Golden airbrush medium
0.5 oz. Akua intaglio ink carbon black

Procedure:
We stirred Speedball screen filler until thoroughly mixed and added Akua intaglio ink. We then measured 4 oz. Future floor wax and added it to the Speedball mixture. We added 3 drops Golden airbrush medium and mixed until ingredients were thoroughly combined.

Conclusions:
This Akua and Speedball screen filler mixture gave a smoother ink than the Acrylic paint mixture. It stayed smooth even when added Future Floor wax, but still needed thinning. When we added water, it did not thin out completely and mixture remained too grainy. The Akua intaglio ink did not seem to dissolve completely. We did not spray this aquatint.

///////////////////////

Mix 3e: (Plate #3)
1 oz. Speedball screen filler
4 oz. Future floor wax
3 drops Golden airbrush medium
0.25 Akua monotype ink jet black

Procedure:
We stirred Speedball screen filler until thoroughly mixed and added Akua monotype ink. We then measureed 4 oz. Future floor wax and added it to the Speedball and Akua mixture. We added 3 drops Golden airbrush medium and mixed until ingredients were thoroughly combined. The mixture was sprayed evenly onto the plate, using BADGER airbrush, at a distance of approximately 6-8 inches and approximately 15 passes across the plate.

We set the plate in the drying box for 20 minutes. We etched the plate in 39 degree baume ferric chloride and cleaned the aquatint off in the stripper bath after etching. We mixed a small quantity of 00 plate oil with Charbonel #55981 oil-based etching ink for printing.

experiment3_01
mix 3e with Akua jet black monotype ink

Conclusions:
The viscosity and tint of this mixture was comparable to Z-Acryl, though somewhat darker. The spray from the airbrush was fine and even, and the airbrush did not clog. The spray was easily visible on the copper plate, and dried within 20 minutes in the drying box. The spray held up for 20 minutes in ferric chloride, and produced a fine, even dark aquatint tone. It seems as though this could be a suitable substitute for Z-Acryl spray aquatint.

plate_03_spray
spray of mix 3e on newsprint

plate_03
print of plate 3

Creating an Acrylic Spray Aquatint Test 4 >