Creating an Acrylic Spray Aquatint Test 11

December 30, 2014 (printed 1/6)
Researchers: Audrey Blood / Jenny Gover
Room Temperature: 67 degrees F
Humidity: dry
Materials: Future floor wax, Golden airbrush medium, Golden flow release, Akua monotype ink jet black, Golden GAC-100
Abstract: Testing durability of Edinburgh mix #3 sprayed 12 days later

///////////////////////

Edinburgh Mix #3 (plate 14)
10 tsp Future Floor Wax (added last)
1.5 tsp Golden GAC-100
3 drops Golden Flow Release
3 drops Golden Airbrush Medium
4 tsp Akua Jet Black Monotype Ink

///////////////////////

Procedure:
To test how Edinburgh mix #3 held up over time and whether it would produce the same quality of print as plate 13, we sprayed plate 14 with this same mixture 12 days later. We shook the mixture and sprayed it through the Badger airbrush on the finest setting onto a 4.5″ x 6″ copper plate at a distance of 6 to 8 inches with approximately 15 passes. The first spray turned out much too dense and dark, so we cleaned it off the plate, degreased, and sprayed a second time with better results. The plate was then set in the drying box for 20 minutes.

The plate was step-etched on 1/6 in 37 degree baume ferric chloride. It was placed in the stripper bath of 3 cups washing soda to 12 liters of warm water for 10 minutes, rinsed, dried, and printed.

IMG_4846
Edinburgh mix #3 before and after shaking

spray_plate13_1
first spray — too dense

spray_plate13_2
second spray — better

IMG_4861
plate 14

Conclusions:

Mixture
This mixture held up fine over the 12 days it sat in its jar. The spray was even and fine.

Stripping
The ground came off easily after etching with approximately 10 minutes in the stripper bath.

Printing
We printed on a Takach press using 2 sizing catchers at 5.5 pressure. Ink: Charbonnel #55981 oil-based etching ink with 2 drops 00 plate oil. Paper: Hahnemuhle copperplate white. This plate printed well with a fine, even tone. On the first printing, the blanket weave showed up in the print, indicating that the paper needed a longer soaking time and have a longer time to dry after blotting. The second print came out better than the first, but there was still some texture from the blankets, so the pressure was increased from 5.5 to 4.5. The third print turned out better than the first two, and we decided to print all of our future tests at 4.5.

plate14_print
print of plate 14

Creating an Acrylic Spray Aquatint Test 12 >