Alternative to Solvents in Monotype: Akua Test 2

October 27, 2015
Researchers: Stephanie Motyka
Room Temperature: 68 degrees F
Humidity: low /dry
Materials: 6″x9″ PETG plate, Akua Mars Black Ink, Baking Soda and Vinegar.
Abstract: Finding a replacement for solvents used in monotype to create fluid textures, reticulated tones, and marks. This test is testing the reaction Baking Soda and Vinegar have on the ink and if it will react in a similar way to a solvent, like mineral spirits. We decided to try Baking Soda and Vinegar because of the visible reaction the two create on their own. We tested this by modifying the ink with the Baking Soda and then applying the vinegar to the inked plate.

////////////////

Plate A
Modified Ink:
About a 5 to 4 ratio of ink to baking soda mixed well.

Procedure:
I began by cleaning the plate with soapy water and drying it. I mixed the ink and baking soda using a palette knife and then rolled it out with a brayer. The ink rolled on very easily with the baking soda in it. I sprayed the vinegar onto the pate with the spray bottle. There was no visible reaction to the ink on the plate so, I let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I hair dried it on high heat. There was still no visible reaction on the plate besides a matte residue from where the vinegar was.

Mixing the ink and rolling out

Mixing the ink and rolling out

Printing Info:
Paper: Arnham dry printed
Inking: Akua Mars Black, Baking Soda Mixed in, brayer to apply onto plate
Soaking time: N/A printed dry
Press: 2 sizing catchers, takach press at 7.5

Test 2, Plate 1 print

Test 2, Plate 1 – print

////////////////

PLATE B
Modified Ink:

About a 2 to 3 ratio of ink to baking soda mixed well.

Procedure:
I did another test using more baking soda in the ink because we did not see any reaction on the plate or in the print. We were hoping more would create the visible reaction we were looking for. When it didn’t, I sprinkled some of the Baking Soda onto a puddle of vinegar and that fizzed but did not react to the ink.

Printing Info:
Paper: Arnham dry printed
Inking: Akua Mars Black, Baking Soda Mixed in, brayer to apply onto plate
Soaking time: N/A printed dry
Press: 2 sizing catchers, takach press at 7.5

Test 2, Plate 2

Test 2, Plate 2 – print

Conclusion:
Both plates had very little reaction before and after printing. The plate with more baking soda added into the ink (Plate 2) was more difficult for any reaction to happen because the ink was very thick. The reaction of vinegar and baking soda created a sulfur smell like rotten eggs. It is non-toxic but very smelly.

Alternative to Solvents in Monotype: Test 3 AKUA >